South Gloucestershire

Our work in South Gloucestershire

Our specialised advocacy service will enable some of the most vulnerable residents of South Gloucestershire to make their own decisions and be in control of their own lives by giving them a voice. We have a range of advocates with specialist knowledge, skills and expertise to help people who are struggling.

We have a dedicated office in Kingswood and launch our new service in April 2017.

Below are the statutory services we provide in South Gloucestershire

Independent Mental Health Advocacy (IMHA)

Our advocates are specialists who are trained to work within the Mental Health Act 1983, and are completely independent of any person or service involved with the persons treatment of care.




Independent Mental Capacity Advocacy (IMCA)

Our advocates are there to make sure that vulnerable adults, who lack the ability to make important decisions and do not have any family or friends to help them, have someone that can make sure that their wishes and feelings are taken into account when other people are making decisions about them.

Care Act Advocacy

With the changes in the Care Act 2014 we provide statutory advocacy that supports people who would otherwise:  

1) Experience substantial difficulty in being fully involved in assessment, care and support planning, review and safeguarding process.

2) Have no one else who is appropriate to support and represent their wishes.




Generic Advocacy

Advocacy for adults aged 18 and over, that is not required under the Care Act. This will include people from all  groups, including carers and will be time-limited and issue-based. To qualify for this service you must meet our criteria.

Independent Health Complaints Advocacy

Our advocates provide statutory, Independent NHS Complaints Advocacy, to support people who want to make a formal complaint using the NHS Complaints Procedure. This can be about any aspect of NHS-funded healthcare and can include issues such as poor treatment or service. If you have a complaint about the NHS, you can download this NHS Complaints  Self-Help Toolkit for contact us for guidance and information.




Paid Representation

When there is no available person to represent the individual deprived of their liberty, a Relevant Person’s Representative (RPR) is appointed. The role of the paid RPR is to maintain contact with the individual, and to represent and support them in matters relating to, or connected with, the deprivation of liberty.

Regional Help

If you think that you may need our help you can either:

Call us on 03333 44 7928


Email us at